View Single Post
      02-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Happened to me recently. Cobb were most helpful I have few things to say....

Copy your entire Cobb data directory now into like three places, or more! Do that before arranging a new cobb install.

When you get your new Cobb install it. The car will start with the ots maps, it will warn you that it will first flash a generic ROM before it overwrites that with ots map and backup the generic rom. but if you ever want to uninstall and leave your car untouched best to go through a complete controlled cycle in my view as follows, assuming a fresh repayment ap

AP device connected to car : flash. Warns about non standard ROM, offers to flash generic. Go for it! Will flag generic them will backup that and then finally flash the ots map.
AP Manager : connect ap. Will say new ECU data available. Don't worry you won't use that backup breccias it is generic. (This is why I copied my original backup all over the place)
AP manager : push (original) backup to AP from Google drive or wherever you stashed it.
AP device connected to car : Import backup (same menu on decice but the exact opposite to expose ECU), ap now thinks your original backup is the one to use for uninstalls.

I believe you can actually stop at this point but, I'm nervous so....

AP device connected to car : uninstall (car is back to stock)
AP device still connected to car : reinstall, yeah!

AP manager : Ap spots new ECU data and backs that up. This one is the new golden copy.

Use with a battery charger or some tether attached and that way your Cobb will be left paired and with a backup of your real ROM on the ap.

I then deleted my multiple copies of the Cobb data and program directories I made.

P.s. don't bother md5 checksum on any files. Your new backup will be different to both the generic and original backup. Presumably some rolling snapshot data is included in the ROM that changes even if it is identical.

P.p.s. I also flattened my battery and cobb recovered from that situation too which is why I know a charger is definitely needed. Oh and file checksum tells you nothing ( yes I did another unusual and install because I was curious that way)

Last edited by crypticc; 02-07-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0