View Single Post
      01-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #31
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

I've been active in the markets professionally for 17 years, so I think I can give you some guidance. I attached a picture of my trading system below for kicks.....

Okay I posted the link before, and I'll do it again: www.investors.com

Sign-up and read it every day. Get William O'Neill's books and read them. They're very easy reading. The stocks they like are typically more volatile than most stocks, meaning in good markets they go up faster, and in bad markets, they go down faster.

DO NOT WATCH CNBC or any of that crap. They're idiots, they've turned the stock market into entertainment, and they're wrong most the time. All the guests they have on, have some reason for saying what they say, and I can guarantee you it's more for their benefit than yours. (I know, in the picture I have CNBC on the TV, but I promise you it's muted)

If you're REALLY serious, learn how to analyze stock charts. To do this, I would start by reading a book called "Technical Analysis Explained", by Martin Pring. If you do have an interest in charts, you need some software. You might want to look at www.highgrowthstock.com, they offer a pretty good analysis package, and if you learn their way of doing it, you'll be way ahead. They pretty much use the same system that you'll learn about by reading O'Neill's books. I don't like their charting, though.

For a better charting package look at MetaStock (www.equis.com). Their software's a bit expensive at first, but the daily updates are pretty cheap. Go with end-of-day data to start with.

Once you know what you're doing, and if you want to be an active trader, you need to go with TradeStation (www.tradestation.com), they are for active traders, but they have the best charting system out there. IT IS GREAT! But that's for when you get good. DO NOT START HERE.

In a nutshell, here's what I would recommend:
1. Subscribe to Investors Business Daily (www.investors.com). Go w/ the online version or the print version, it's up to you.
2. Read William O'Neill's books, they may offer a free book when you sign up with Investors Business Daily. William O'Neill founded IBD.
3. If you're still interested sign-up with HighGrowthStock.
4. Read Martin Pring's book.
5. If you want better charting software, get the MetaStock program.
6. Once you're REALLY good - maybe in a year or two, or three, sign-up with TradeStation.

Let me end with this. Learn how to do this on your own. Put the time in to learn and get good at it. You will lose money, especially at first, but hang in there, you'll eventually start making money. I would recommend paper trading for awhile to start with before you put your hard earned money into it. Most importantly DO NOT LISTEN TO BROKERS!! They have no idea what they're doing. THEY ARE SALESMEN. Believe me I KNOW THIS. I have worked at two of the biggest investment firms in the world.

Please don't fall into the BS trap of these online boards with these guys that are saying you should be buying some crap stock for $1.12, because the company has figured out how to turn pig farts into electricity and the stock will be $100 w/in a year. It's called Pump 'n Dump. They buy some crap stock and then get online and spread rumors about it, then dump it when the price jumps. It's illegal. And you'll get burned.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Good luck - you're gonna need it, just kidding.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0