View Single Post
      09-24-2023, 03:05 PM   #42
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Hello bimmerpost. Currently I'm really enjoying my i4 as my DD. That is not going away. However, I'm on the hunt for a weekend car. My original plan was to buy a new M2 Comp when they arrived. However, the car I just not doing it for me.

This is going to be a weekend/fun/occasional track car. After BMW royally fucked the new M2 I turned my eyes to Porsche. Maybe a Cayman GT4 or a 911 GTS or 911 Carrera S? The 911's would be used, not new, the Cayman I could go new if I could find a dealer to give me an allocation but that's easier said than done right now. Our local dealer isn't even taking anymore allocations due to fear of not being able to fill current allocation before production stops.

Like most car folks there's a few cars that have been seared into my brain and will continue to be there for the rest of my life. I'm also a bit of a BMW fan boy although the last 10-15 years in many respects they've lost their way which is hugely disappointing. BUT.....their M cars are still generally really good to great in their respective classes.

A few cars that I have adored since I was a teenager...
E34 5 series, including the M5
E36 M3 Sedan
E46 3 series (the M3 yes but I love sporty sedans when given the option)
E39 M5

It feels to me like the G80 is the spiritual successor to the E39 M5. Don't laugh me out of the room...or at least if you do, give me your rationale.

The G80 is similar in weight, makes more power, has better overall driving dynamics (but the steering is blah in terms of feedback), is similar in size if not a bit larger inside. Being 6'6 I do appreciate the room inside the current generation 3 series, it's bigger than my F30 by a fair margin especially for those who wind up sitting behind me. It seems like there is an extra inch of legroom back there.

While I don't like the grill, I've at least gotten used to it and a euro style front plate helps break up the shit BMW reeked on the nose of the car. From every other angle it's an absolute looker IMO.

I also believe the S58 has proven to be extremely reliable as has the ZF8. So it seems like it's going to be a good car for weekend/fun work and track work. The G80 brings several distinct pro's/con's versus anything from Porsche world.
-Heavy at nearly 3900lbs
-Not a true sports
-Upgraded seats suck
-Steering feedback is blah
-Big for a weekender (this is also a pro since I can get the wife/kids in it easily it'll get more use)
-Manual only available in base trim

+Excellent engine
+Great size for around town stuff with the family/date night with wife
+Consumables cheaper than Porsche
+Looks great from every angle but the front
+Really good on track
+Can buy new

I'd likely get an LCI competition. My hope is they'll bring back Santorini or Laguna Seca Blue.

Tell me I'm crazy, tell me this makes sense, ask me questions...give me your thoughts.
Cayman GT4 is out of production.
Appreciate 0