08-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #369
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMick View Post

But if the wearer of said $20k watch admitted it was a replica, does this catapult him now into a higher income/wealth strata? I look forward to reading between the lines.

These kind of in-depth dick measuring discussions are quite the staple of car luxury lifestyle aka "I'm more Alpha than you, Bro" forums.
If folks want to play "whose is bigger," well they need to whip it out, but a watch isn't going to answer the question, whether it's real or fake. In the same way, a real or fake watch doesn't tell one what another's economic position is.

I suspect I'm not all that different from most other folks who buy pricey watches and other nice stuff in that nearly everywhere one goes socially -- for me it's most often social events I or friends host in our homes -- everyone there is well off and everyone knows it. Merely being there pretty much "screams" that much more effectively than any possessions ever could.

It's not any different professionally. People don't need exact figures to know damn well whether their peers, bosses, subordinates, clients and colleagues are in good shape. When you see your doctor, it doesn't matter what he wears, were he lives, what car he drives, etc.; you know he makes a very good living.

In the same say, when you see a "regular" sort of fellow with some uncommonly extravagant belonging, you know there are likely circumstances beyond his job alone that allowed him to come by it. You can assume the item is a fake, and you may or may not be correct in your assumption.

The point is that wealth assessments and assertions -- by virtue of a real of fake watch or any other possession -- isn't ever effective among folks one knows, and it's irrelevant as it applies to people whom one doesn't know. Although, among that latter group, it could become relevant if they are ponying up to direct some of that wealth one's way. LOL.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0