12-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
Switch away from Vista... It's a POS of an operating system and even Bill Gates himself admitted it's a flop; I switched one computer to Windows 7 and the difference is definitely noticeable. But also I beg to differ on AVG; try Avast or Comodo free version... I don't know why, but lately I've had clients with AVG that had computers crash/BSOD on older OSes (2 XPs and 1 Vista that was fixed when I uninstalled AVG). Also on one hand, Progman gets fussy about 64-bit usage, but on the other,putting more than 4GB of RAM on a 32-bit computer doesn't do any good... So get a VM and put a virtual copy of 32-bit XP or something on it, or research if a particular software can be made backwards compatible; I know there's like an 8+ page PDF tutorial on making it work but my brief search didn't quite find it.
This in a nutshell, Vista will not address more than 4 gb to be used, if you can switch back to XCP it's far more stable and forgiving. Frankly you can get refurbed Chrome books under $200 which will do everything you need
for that.
Appreciate 0