SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Start off with a small monetary investment. You might find out that you really don't enjoy owning one so don't drop a lot of coin ($300-$400)the first purchase. Start with a revolver too -something like a .38 Smith and Wesson. Revolvers are perfect for a novice - especially when it comes to self defense. When you get tired of it move on to something larger like a 9mm or .40 auto. Take some local gun safety courses at your local police department. They usually offer them for free or a modest fee. They will give you some insight on what it's really like to be a gun carrying citizen as well as marksmanship pointers.
As M3This stated, good pointers. But I'd suggest starting with the gun safety course. There you'll learn the laws and not the speculations pertaining to firearms. You'll also get a feel for the weapon's power and have a chance to try different models. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision on which to eventually buy.

My handguns include a S&W 586 .357, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, and H&K Sportsman .22 revolver.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0