11-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #436
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
All legal and ethical issues aside, I have a real rolex bought new and the movement stopped in the first year and a half of ownership. Expensive and real does not = not breaking or having an issue thats for sure. I was disappointed, but Rolex did fix for free. Was expecting more based on what I paid and how kush I treated the watch.

I got the best replicas in Thailand on vacay. 30 bucks on average and 10 years later they are still working wind up watches.
You aren't alone in having had that experience. That is exactly the "dirty little secret" that is unavoidable and that plenty of watch reviewers/bloggers know darn well, but won't admit. (And yes, the watch companies know it too.) Of course, they can't admit it publicly either because they receive material sums of support from watch companies.

Red:
If there is any insult to injury, it's exactly that. You'd think for $4K+ one could expect the thing would be issue free, but there's no guarantee. And at Rolex and other high end makers' price points, there's simply no way for the maker to "down manage" consumer expectations in that regard. Nobody in their right might is going to expect watches costing that much to fail in the first two years of owning them, regardless of whether intellectually they know it's possible. And quite frankly, one is justified for having that level of expectation, IMO.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0