07-14-2023, 01:16 PM   #35
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
I'm starting to struggle understanding the role of the modern M2/3/4, as they try harder to be both a more usable daily and a better performance car. They're nearing almost $100k in a lot of specs; I imagine most people buying them own property and could start making two cars work. As a daily, I'd rather have a newer SUV. More practical, with surprisingly good performance in a more comfortable package that you don't have to care about. I literally avoid certain roads in my area with the E92 due to fear of beating the shit out of it, but you can just say "YOLO" and charge through them in an SUV. And as a performance car, they just don't seem... special enough? The F8x cars are like this, too, but they start to feel like pumped up versions of regular cars. The E9x and earlier cars at least had very exciting engines to make them feel more special, but I struggle to see why you'd want the modern M2/3/4 as something for a weekend run. Yeah, they're fast as hell, but does that mean it's more fun or memorable? Their existence just seems to be in an odd spot these days. They basically exist for someone with a lot of disposable income, but only want to bother dealing with one car.
Agreed. While the G80 X-Drive would make a nice all-in-one daily, it definitely doesn't feel special enough to make it my only car. For me, an E9x M3 weekend car and a nice daily SUV like a G05 X5 would be my ideal combo. Maybe toss in a GT3 as the cherry on top.
Appreciate 0