View Single Post
      10-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #93
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
What I mean to say is that I'm skeptical of his interview response to his radio comment. It strikes me as a bit odd that a driver would come on the radio to tell his team "I give up" just because he is out of time and doesn't wish to chase the cars ahead anymore. In other words, I don't buy his explanation .

My theory is that he's trying to put a bit of public pressure on Ferrari. Interestingly, the BBC commentators seemed split on that, too, with Brundle favoring my view and the others favoring yours.
I agree.

In the pre-race interview, he explained how there needs to be a gradual change in mentality at Ferrari. He's obviously not happy, but not about to go against his team publicly and start criticizing.

When he made the comment, he may have just meant that he had "given up" on pushing the car 100% in trying to pass MW. Obviously he was still quick, but I think he decided that at that stage, the only way he'd get past is with a mistake up front and it wasn't worth risking going off on the last 2 laps. Perhaps coupled with the frustration from tailing someone essentially the entire race.

I thought it was very important for LH to get through the weekend the way he did. He showed JB-like maturity in the race and it paid off. He needs to finish the season strong to keep his confidence up for the start of next year.

Last edited by yakev724; 10-17-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0