04-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #44
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
I guess you're right about people making up rumours, but its not just one random person saying this, its a bunch of educated people.
Do you know how often "educated" people are wrong?? How often they say certain things are good for your health, but end up being detrimental??
The thing with educated people is that they are the same as the uneducated, when in groups they all agree with each other regardless of having different opinions or not. They all strive so hard to be correct, perhaps more so than the uneducated, so they easily jump on a bandwagon.
Take Solomon Asch's experiment involving conformity for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
How about Edward Casey? I watched a show on him and all his predictions came true and when asked when the world was going to end he said December 21 2012... I usually dont believe in stuff like this but this one makes the most sence to me
Do you mean Edgar Cayce??
Quote:
"He maintained that Atlantis had a civilization which was technologically superior to our own, and that its last surviving islands had disappeared in the area of the Caribbean some ten thousand years ago. His most specifically timed forecast was that Atlantis would rise again in 1968 or 1969."
Cayce forecast that, by the end of the century, New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco would be destroyed. He said that "the greater portion of Japan must go into the sea" at this time, and that northern Europe would be "changed as in the twinkling of an eye."
Yeah.. all of them.. That's only two, I don't feel like listing the rest.

I'll list some Nostradamus prophecies as well..
Quote:
The assassination of President Bush in 2006. Usually these predictions take place within a year or so of the original date.

Quote:
The year 1999 seven month,
From the sky will come a great King of terror:
To bring back to life the great King of Angolmois, (the Mongols),
Before after Mars to reign by good luck.
Apparently this was the prediction of 9/11. (2 years before it happened)
Quote:
According to the prophet, Genghis Khan and his empire are now returning in another incarnation. Eerily 1990, the leaders of the People’s Republic of China restored Genghis Khan to his “rightful” place in Chinese history.
If you cite Nostradamus's prediction on 2012 and you're a Christian, apparently you believe in reincarnation.
Quote:
At forty-five degrees, the sky will burn,
Fire approaches the great new city,
Immediately a huge, scattered flame leaps up
When they want to have verification from the Norman
Apparently people have interpreted this as 45 degrees Latitude and claim he is talking about NY, the trade centers. (45 degrees off the horizon seems to be what he was actually describing.)
The thing about most all predictions is that they are very vague, and leave a large amount of room for interpretation. Nostradamus mastered this in his writings, and that is why he was so famous in his time, he figured out he could leave enough room for interpretation that almost all of his believers would find them true. In these predictions people also often throw in a "may" or "might", they never say "will" happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
you think Nasa will announce to the world if they found a doomsday asteroid? Knowing they are funded by the government and if shit like that leaked out it would cause riots and mass religious hysteria all around the world? nah they keep it to themselves and try to find a way to deal with it, so we can go on about our everyday life. and if they can't stop it, they announce at the last minute....'sorry guys we been keeping this from you but you're fucked soon'

bam, dead, done...
It would be extremely hard for them to keep something of that magnitude under wraps.

-Nathan

Last edited by Expired; 04-28-2008 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0