View Single Post
      06-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #66
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I agree and disagree, depending on the situation. I always joke with my buddy who is of Italian descent (has an Italian flag on his car, talks like he's on the Sopranos, and has never been to Italy) that he's only Italian when he's in the US, because the second he steps off the plane in Italy he'll realize how not-Italian he is.

That being said, there's a difference between being from a place and being born in a place and it depends on the context of the conversation. People often hear my last name and ask if I'm Irish of Scottish - is the correct response that I'm American?

On the fip side, if I run into Dutch people, I might tell them that my mother was born there but I would never say "I'm Dutch" as that would sound pretty silly, so I do agree on that front.
Your buddy sounds like the stereotypical "American-Italian" which is a complete 180 compared to real Italians. I think he'd be shocked if he'd ever set food in Italy; better not crush his dreams!

So when people ask you if you're Irish or Scottish, what do you tell them? The correct answer would be that you were born and raised in America, but that your mother was born in the Netherlands and that your father is of (insert correct countries) descent.
Appreciate 0