01-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #135
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Of course I am - but I was the same perfect BMW customer 10 years ago, too. It just happens that I still am even though there have been lots of changes since then.

I didn't say you said anything about high displacement; I merely made the statement that you don't have to have a high displacement engine for a real enthusiast's car. These days, correct me if I'm wrong, that is a common conception that I see over and over. Even with all of the various pleadings that the i8 should have had a TT V8 or other M engine, a sole reason why many people on this board have stated they don't like the i8 - lack of a monster engine.

In the final E46 days your M3 was blasphemy to some people because of the V8. Now the blasphemy is going to FI vs. NA. Either way different people become enthusiasts at different times (new generations, etc.) and whatever it is that drew them near, some or many of them don't like when it changes. I think that makes sense; what doesn't make sense is expecting things never to change.

My point was that BMW still makes emotionally appealing cars and despite the lack of feel in the F30 there are other cars that are fun to drive in the BMW way of old, maybe not exactly the same but the general traits are there. I'd love to drive the new M4 and see what it feels like. I don't think I'll be disappointed. With various technology to reduce turbo lag, newer FI engines are behaving more and more like conventional NA engines. Even the X6M has specially built exhaust manifolds that aids in this purpose.

My other point, which you did not address, is that the i8 being the halo car is not at all indicative that BMW "lost their true characteristics" as you stated.

I think it's a combination of adapting to new environments where MPG is important to many people, implementing new technologies, and still building cars that appeal to one's emotions.

When I attended an i8 event in Miami (in public) where many people had never seen it, and the BMW i Brand Manager gave a speech on it, people were impressed with the specs, but when he mentioned it gets 94 mpg, there was applause! These days lots of people do care about this.

On a quick side note, as to your point that BMW has never really made big engines .. they've had a V12 since the 80's with always at least one car with a V12 in the lineup, usually a 7-series although the 8-series also had a V12 in the 850i. I do agree that the majority of why many of us like or love BMW has to do with the various iterations of the I6. And, I do agree that the E60 M5 V10 engine is one sweet sounding, purely awesome masterpiece.

I test drove a 318Ti once before I got my 1993 325i and that thing felt like a piece of crap, not like a BMW. It was a 4-banger. There are cars in the line up I would never buy. But at the core, there are also cars that I would buy, and would do so before going to get a car from MB or Audi - which, don't even get me started on Audi, as the only one of their cars I'd even consider is the R8. With MB the choice becomes harder because I like quite a few of their cars, have owned several, and my favorite car of all time is the McLaren SLR.
ya i understand people thought it was a blasphemy to go to a V8 in the m3. BUT other than the 8 cylinders it was still very much like the E46. high revving n/a engine. where these new engines are lower revving, make less noise, maybe less exciting to some people etc.. so even though BMW has went back to inline 6 engines in the new M3 line up. its still different type of engine! that right there is a pretty big topic in the M4 thread section right now.

i understand what the I8 is, and trust me i understand why its important to some people. i am all for the going green movement. i think its very important. As long as BMW can get away with still offering performance cars, where the focus is performance! the new M4 has big shoes to fill. for the first time in a M3, one of the big focus was on getting better MPG. last generations were balls to the wall style of motors.

also the number of cylinders does not mean big engine. just because its a V12 does not mean its a big engine. those old V12 engine still were no bigger than the current V8 engines made today by M. benz makes the bigger motors.

big = displacement. but i do understand what you are trying to say. and for the most BMW is not known for making big motors. where GM is.

and rather BMW still makes emotionally appealing cars, thats totally opinion based. for some one who loved the old E46, E92, E60 M cars. BMW has gotten soft and makes less appealing engines ( IMO). so not everyone is happy. you gotta respect that. just read comments on here and other threads. SOME people are not that thrilled with BMW ATM.

Last edited by Ezio; 01-06-2014 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0