03-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
this guy is straight out crazy. Entertaining no doubt, but not much to say on his comments. The only thing we probably have in common is our age as this guy is far out there. Who the hell walks around with watches trying to pickup women!!!

Im just not into skinny dress watches and while I have all respects for the big three, they dont move me at all from a daily watch wear point of view. The few models that Ive liked in the past are not watches Id feel comfortable wearing anymore as my styles have changed as well as my mindset. I always thought i wanted a VC growing up, but had looked at models in the $30K range. I just dont have the passion for them anymore, and would spend that amount towards two nice watches from a certain brand that Ive grown to love.

funny stuff though
Comments:
Yes, like the Watch Snob, he's good for entertainment value, but unlike the Watch Snob, he presents the entertaining "snobby stuff" yet it's said with something sensible so one can tell that his primary intent is parody and entertainment, rather than that actually being the right way to perceive watches. For example, his reasons for not desiring an ALS or F. Muller watch illustrates the place of subjectivity in the hobby of watch collecting.

The salient points that he made or that one should glean from his comments, IMO, were:
  • His preferences are his opinion, but not right or wrong.
  • One's collection must reflect one's own values and personality.
  • Commercial popularity doesn't make a watch not be a great thing and not worth having.
  • It's not about money. It's about what "does it" for you, regardless of the price.
  • Facetiousness must be clear to the audience.
  • Graciousness is how to be (final comment to the young lady who adored his "trinity" watch)
Lost Passion:
Yes, that happens. I too have been into watches, over watches, and back and forth for some 40 years. It's not a big deal...there's a time and place for everything...live is about the journey, the ebb and flow...

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0