01-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #36
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
You are just callous. This is a sad happening.

It would seem this kid took his parent's car, and with his inexperience in driving, and with recklessness disregard for safety he took his life and the lives of others.

I have in-laws who are in their late teens and early twenties who if they had the chance would likely do the same. How much of this is due to the video game generation? It is only in recent years that so much of this happens. It is sad. Very sad. It is a commentary on what has become of modern America.

This is also sad for the parents of this kid and the parents of the others who died with him. It is sad for the parents that they did not secure that car better. It is sad just imaging how it would be if it were in my family. It is sad that people can have a cavalier attitude about such a preventable tragedy.

There are several families that will be deeply affected by this for many years. Yes, it is sad on so many levels.
I'm far from callous, I just see the world for what it is.

I'm sure the other kids in the car knew what they were doing, and were egging him on to go faster. He also never claimed to be inexperienced, he claimed not knowing how to shift that well with a stick. (I don't know how to drive stick) There are tons of people in this world that are great drivers, and make careless mistakes. The amount of time you are driving isn't that big of a factor on how well of a driver you are either. I'm sure at the age of 12 I was a better driver than a bunch of people that are in high school. It annoys me how people think age makes a difference in a persons judgment, or experience level. Age isn't a factor, its the amount of things you have experienced up until a certain point. You could have someone that is 40 years old and has never had someone tell them they turn too sharp, or brake too late.. regardless of their age, they are a terrible driver. People have greater skills in different areas, and some take longer than others to learn different skills, and sometimes never pick up on them.

Perhaps it was dark out and he couldn't see that far ahead?? Thats called a careless mistake, that anyone could make no matter how talented you are. Speeding down a road in the woods and having a dear hit your car, another careless mistake. You may be the best driver in the world, but lived in a city all of your life and never experienced or seen a deer running across a road, so you had no idea what to look out for.

I don't think that he is a reckless individual, because of the fact that he drove to an airstrip to test out the car. He could have taken it on the highway, or some other public place. I'm sure everyone on here has opened their vehicle up on a public road somewhere, raced someone, or something a long those lines.. Doesn't that make you more reckless than him??

Don't try to pin all of society's problems on our generation, when the older generation is to blame. I've heard tons of parents tell story's about kids their age racing and dying, kids attempting stupid stuff. It was in fact the older generation that invented the muscle car, and depicted them as fun to drive because they are fast.

Video Games are also not to blame, if anything playing video games would have given him more experience, and movies would be to blame.

Yes, it's sad for the family that has been affected by this. But for you to be sad or act like you are sad is ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_328 View Post
I don't know you and you can take this as you wish, but that's bullshit. You have no idea how an individual feels or reacts to a death in their family. But I will tell you that it helps to know that some people still have the decency to extend their condolences. Sure it may seem trivial because it is the thing to say/ do but it is also part of being a respectful human being. We may all agree that the driver and his passengers were careless and the accident could have been avoided however they have family and friends who loved them. And for that reason my thoughts and prayers are with those who grieve for them.
The fact that all people say is "My condolences to the family" and etc., shows that people have no decency. You can say that all you want, but they are only words without actions. Now if you went up to the person, shook their hand, hugged them, showed some type of sympathy towards them, or ACTUALLY had a conversation with them instead of saying a rehearsed line.. that is different.
The fact is most people just say the words, because it 'IS THE THING TO SAY' is ridiculous. You can actually be respectful instead of faking it, but that would never happen because we live in a fake world.

Like I said, if I have some stranger come up to me, put on a fake face and say how sorry they are, I'm going to kindly tell them to fuck off.

-Nathan

Last edited by Expired; 01-29-2008 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0