Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I never had an an issue with the buffer on the 7D. It's not like I go out and hold the shutter button down. But with the 6D even judicious use of the shutter results in a full buffer very quickly. And it's *so slow* to clear.

I'm seeing now why the 5D MkIII demands such a premium. Best of with worlds with the IQ of the 6D, a large buffer and CF card speed (as long as you don't also use an SD card), and a class-leading AF system.

Just now I set the 6D to ISO 100 and fired off in continuous mode until the buffer was full. 17 shots and it took 35 seconds to clear. Even shooting in 3-4 shot bursts with a second or two in between bursts fills the buffer almost as fast as continuous shooting (21 shots vs 17). And it takes just as long to clear. I'm using a 30MB/s SD card in it, so I'm wondering if that's a data transfer bottleneck.
I use only a CF card in my 5D3, to avoid the SD card slowing things down. The write speed of the CF is the critical factor, caused by the large file size.

When you fill the buffer on the 5D3, it'll start shooting again in a few seconds, but slowly, like one every 1.5-sec.

Dave