View Single Post
      08-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I drove an FRS. They only had an AT, so that was a bit limiting.

Overall, this is a FANTASTIC car to drive. The suspension tuning is right up there, and perhaps a bit better, than much of what BMW does.
The biggest benefit is its light weight, and as we know BMW doesn't seem to know what light weight sport coupes are.

The handling is sublime. Accurate, great geel. The ride is very smooth and loves to roll over road imperfections with no jarring or harshness.
I was able to take it on a 2 lane semi twisty road, and this baby carries a lot of speed through turns with no nearly no body roll, just smoothness and controlability. If you're looking for a great track car to practice line precision and momentum, this baby sings.
I was amazed how much room there is. The seats are a bit tight for my size, but other than that there is plenty of room to be comfortable and drive all day.
The shoulder room actually feel a bit wider than in my 135i, impressive.

The one aspect that I was very surprised by and LOVE about this car, the brakes. EXCELLENT feel. If you've driven Porsche's, then you'll know the engineers did their homework in this car. Brake pedal travel to bite is nearly non existent. Brake force is done by modulating force on the pedal, not be moving the pedal farther towards the fire wall. There is just a hint of pedal travel to let you know you're not pressing on a wood block.
I wish all sporty, sport coupes and sedans had brake feel like this.

The auto trans was surprisingly good. In full auto mode it shifts smoothly and fairly quick, but it manual mode the AT shows it's a modern design. Very quick to respond to the paddles around the steering wheel.
They didn't have an MT. An MT is a natural for this car, and would be more fun.

It truly has the little engine that could. NO, it doesn't have big power, it's pretty low on torque, but what it has moves it along nicely. If you're a fan of boxer engines, then you'll love the cool odd cadence of this little 4 banger. The low amount of torque it has pulls out nicely and at decent low rpm. But, it seems you get all of it's torque early on, and there isn't much left to give as the tach climbs. And, the tach climbs kinds slowly, meaning this little engine doesn't love to rev out like a high strung proper Honda 4. That was a bit of a let down.
Power comes on nicely, and then continues, but not with much urgency.
Hopefully the turbo won't give huge low rpm torque, rather, build torque with rpm and let the engine breathe out for better track control.
The chassis feels as if it could easily handle 50% more HP, and well over 50% more torque. With 275hp/275lb ft, this thing would be a monster. With 2800lbs and that power, it will be 10.2lbs per hp/lb ft.
With that power to weight it'll hold it's own no problem.

So what if this car loses a drag race to a Camry. That's not the point of what this car is. Even with the prodigious power in our 135i's, on the track with twisty turns, this thing will have you thinking your 135i needs more power. But, what you actually need is much less weight and a better, much better, suspension.

Yes, in person it does look very nice.
The interior is exactly what you'd imagine it would be, nothing special.
So unspecial that you wonder why it costs so much. The audio system absolutely blows.
Chassis and suspension can't be that much, but it's where the most engineering time was spent, and that little engine can't be that expensive.
If so, then look at the Subaru, which has a nicer interior, but it costs a bit more too.
Appreciate 0