Thread: BMW going down
View Single Post
      04-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #108
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Corvettes get good mileage because of their gearing, aerodynamics, and weight. They have more than enough drawbacks to outweigh it. Besides, fuel economy shouldn't be a very big priority with performance cars.

As for the topic, as someone who owns an E36 318i and E90 335i, I completely agree on BMW watering down their products as of late. I've recently driven a new 328i and 528i both, and they feel and drive like a nice Camry. Artificial, overboosted, lifeless steering; floaty ride; less solid feeling. They just don't feel 'special'. It my help their bottom line right now, but it's eventually going to come back and haunt them.

I will say the N20 is a gem, and deserves no criticism. It's smooth, powerful, efficient, and moddable. Paired with the ZF 8AT, it makes for a great powertrain. It's just a shame the rest of the car is so humdrum. But it looks as if the new 2 is a good car, the new M3/4 is right around the corner, and the next 5 is supposed to be lighter. So maybe there's still hope.
Appreciate 0