04-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #96
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Well fair enough... but the M3/M4 is not a lightweight sports car with a large V8 that revs to barely 7K.

If the m3 got a motor that revs that low, there would be an absolute uproar for example in that arena. Also, to get a motor to rev that high, it can't be that large of a displacement typically hence automatically less tq, lower mpg and so forth so forth. It's a complicated scenario.

The turbo motors resolve almost all issues in one. You can even make a turbo motor sound good, the only real concern is responsiveness which we can't speak on yet in terms of the new m3.
as a V8 m3 owner i agree. i am a V8 guy all the way. i wanted a V8 engine car that had luxury and class over getting a corvette or mustang. although i find the new twin turbo V8s found in the M5 to not be to my likely sound wise. the turbos mute to much sound. i would say more so turbo engines struggle to make good sound over N/A or even a supercharged engine. although some turbo cars have sounded good i will admit.

but really thinking about it. the new turbo 6 coming simply fits the bill better for what the car is (M3). for me it doesn't. I will most likely move into a car that has a V8 and without turbos. although a S/C is ok as it doesn't effect engine noise.

i can respect the fact that some people prefer a 4 or 6 cylinder engine noise. as i pefer a V8 growl
Appreciate 0