View Single Post
      01-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #74
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Complacency...... How easily the people forget.

Is it really that far fetched to think the government could turn on the populace, or a portion of it? Is it really that far fetched to think that this county, divided, could take up arms against each other?

It's not like this hasn't happened already and not that long ago either. And in today's climate, the topic that divided us seems elementary. It's funny how looking at issues that happened 160 years ago seem inconceivable simply because we can't imagine that issue coming about today. I wonder what the people 160 years ago would think about the possibly of the government taking their guns... They would probably be as dumbfounded as we are about them wanting slaves. I for one don't discount the possibility of history repeating itself.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Without an armed populous, the government is free to gain absolute power. The fact that our citizens are armed is a HUGE deterrent to the government in regards to gaining absolute power. If you don't think it's a deterrent check these figures out:

Military Firearms (includes all branches of military and police) in the US: 3,940,000 guns
Civilian Firearms in the US: 270,000,000

It's often said that life imitates art... we have books and movies that are relevant to some of the things that are going on today. I'm sure there are other examples but a couple of them are Red Dawn and iRobot. The author of Red Dawn came out to say that the story was actually about the US government growing to large. The movie iRobot used logic to suspend the rights of humans in order to ensure their safety. Another proposing a different possibility is Patriots. Patriots is much less entertaining, but quite relevant as it describes the fall of America because of the devaluation of the dollar. Again, i don't think it's inconceivable to think that the government could get to a point where they think they know what's best for it's subjects.

I don't think these things will happen, but at the same time, i wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 01-17-2013 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0