07-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #9
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Do you think that is reasonable when you are attending College for "free" on a scholarship and getting an education (which is supposedly the first priority when going to college in the first place) on other student's money as well as state sponsored funding thru tax dollars? Oh, and by the way, you don't have to attend class... sorry, that's not school, that's a grift to everyone else. If that's NOT ridiculous... I don't know what is... your payment is a free education...but again, that flew out the window many years ago.... if we are really going down this route... fine separate schools from athletic programs entirely... it'll then be athletic academies etc vs learning institutions.
It would not be reasonable if the student is not attending classes. I feel like they are required to attend and maintain a minimum GPA level in order to be eligible as an athlete?

I think this is all annoying as I do agree that going to college should be primarily to get educated, but I do understand the desire to make money. And if I was a young idiot again I would want to get paid if I had a talent or whatever means to get paid.

If you were that age and someone wanted to pay you a bunch of money or gift you a car or something, all of it being legal, what would you do?