10-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #56
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM-Houston View Post
Heavier and slower than the old one, worse mileage, and I don't care about a V8 sound, just performance. I do like the looks of the new car though, I think they nailed it. I was actually thinking about waiting for them to come out when I started car shopping in August, thinking they were really going to up the performance.

We'll start seeing them on the autocross track soon and see how they do. They will be in SCCA F Stock (well Street now), along with the previous version of the Mustang, and the F80/82 M3/M4. It will be interesting to see how much the improved suspension makes up for the additional weight.
Better skid pad, better figure eight numbers, better braking, higher trap speeds. Slower by a blink of an eye to the sixty and quarter marks, but in-gear acceleration should be faster if the trap speed is anything to go by. The shell lost weight and it gained weight in additional stiffness, safety equipment, and amenities. The overall product is far more refined and more capable on real world surfaces that aren't marble smooth where the S197 (and Boss specifically) performed at their best.

So far we've got two owners chiming in with deliveries. This car looks amazing.

What's been very interesting lately is that two aftermarket exhaust manufacturers, Gibson and Magnaflow, have released catback gains of 30hp/25lb-ft... and it looks like that's at the wheels. Completely absurd and unheard of for something as simple as a catback which should realistically only add around 10hp/lb-ft if we're luck, but it also looks like the exhaust setup on the S550 is very restrictive.

Videos and graphs.

Magnaflow thread discussion: http://www.mustang6g.com

Gibson thread discussion: http://www.mustang6g.com

2015 S550 exhaust setup. Weird suitcase object which serves as the crossover pipe and resonator. Might be the culprit for the severe restrictions (likely a move to comply with multiple markets).

MY11-14 S197's for comparison.

And here's my personal favorite: a video review where the host compares it favorably on the "fun to drive scale" against the M4 which he'd recently driven. This might just be fuel for a fire though.

Appreciate 0