01-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #123
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post

Truthfully as a customer and car enthusiast, I couldn't care less who's number 1 in luxury sales. I like cars for their looks, driving characteristics, emotional appeal, fun factor, and technology.
+ infinity for the one comment in this thread that I find most intelligent - lol because I agree 100% with it. When I bought my first BMW Thanksgiving 2012, I did it because I was shopping a certain kind of vehicle and BMW had just come out with a model such as I wanted. I test drove the X1 and then placed my order. If BMW had been #4 in luxury car sales at that point I would have bought it.

I came from a 2006 Lexus IS250. Maybe Lexus was #1 at that time. I bought Lexus then because I wanted a small sporty car with great reliability, and the price point was right. #1 had no part in my decision.

Last year I attended two different Lexus test drive events for the new IS, with a BMW 3, Audi 4 and MB C class also available. To me the MB was by far the least interesting. Staid exterior, less connection to road. I liked driving the A4 a lot. Even though the 3 is a different car than my X1, it felt familiar in good ways. The new IS is a big improvement over my 2006 edition in ride, but you have to get the 350 to really enjoy it, and the MPG is not all that great. The re-design is such a slow evolutionary step it takes me a moment when I see one to realize it's the new IS.

When I get ready to buy my next vehicle, I won't give a hoot then either what is the #1 luxury car line. I certainly won't care which car line appeals most to those who follow supercars and long for a manual/diesel something or other with seats like what Fred Flintstone drove.

I'll get the car that appeals to me and meets my needs. November 2012 it was the sDrive X1 and I'm super happy with it. That doesn't change because for 2013 BMW is #2 is luxury sales by a small margin.
Appreciate 0