View Single Post
      11-26-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire6000
This is one thing that i never really understood.

Benz easily mass produces silky smooth cars like the CL55 and 65 which have over 500 horses and over 520 torque and over 700 torque on the 65 model and all of that coming from supercharged V8s.

With bmw, the best they can do with a V10 is a little over 500hp and torque numbers in the 300s.

Not only that, but despite the benzes weighing tons more than any bmws in production, they accelerate FAR FAR quicker than anything bmw can throw out...and all of that from what are called the best standard 7 speed automatic trannys in the world.

MB makes extensive use of varying suspensions on their cars. Unlike bmw which only tailors stiff sporty suspensions in any kind of driving, the benzes drive like lexuses on strait roads, but when twisties come up, the suspensions stiffen themselves and do not permit any body roll. Thus, the car handles almost as well as a sports car. In fact, if anyone has ever had any experience with these cars, they would know that all benzes handle like they weigh over 1000 pounds lighter.

Point is...how come BMW doesnt analyze their competition and take tricks they use and incorporate them into their own cars? I think if bmw utilized the best things from all of their competitors, they would be completely untouchable in this business.
The answer to more torque from MB is called forced induction. The answer to how they produce such vehicles is maybe found in the fact the Mercedes are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than BMWs.

I think its hilarious that you think MB's outperform BMWs when everybody who wants a great performance car looks to BMW and Porsche long before the old man's Benz. Case in point, the E46 M3 easily matched the C-class AMG models and it definately outperfomed the same models when it came to the track.

And if you are so bright, why don't you explain to me why JD Power indicated that MB is well below industry average in 3-year reliability and why they were shown to be 14th from the bottom in the same category? Meanwhile, BMW was tied with Honda and Acura in this category and well above industry average.

In any case, there is more to cars than perfomance... BMW just has a fire to it that only Porsche and Ferrari can match. It shows in the demographics... the average age of BMW owners is 44.... the average age of Porsche owners is 42... the average age of MB owners is 57... and the average of BUICK owners is 58. I guess you might as well go and feather the throttle in your MB on the way to 4:00pm early bird special dinners.

Why don't you go smoke some more drugs.
Appreciate 0