03-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #144
zoltans4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 650 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
Simply not true^
BMW has made some of the best cars in the world, using none of the formula you've just laid out. Matter-of-fact, they made BETTER cars under the old formula.

Again, BMW has always made a profit, the new BMW corporate mantra is greed. Nothing had to change, except the fact the BMW CEO's egos need more money. Typical greed, while selling your heritage down the road. Scott, you have to stop denying that BMW has moved away from Driver orientated cars, into a homogeneous fleet designed to appeal to the greatest common denominator. (Via focus groups)

Secondly, nobody cares about Carbon Fiber panels on a car, when the chassis is designed for 4 other models too.. a 3 series, is a 4 series, is a 5 series, is a 6 series. There is just no difference, no distinction between the series anymore. Plus, carbon fiber is only good on cars that need weight reduction. Or cars that have specific requirements. Why would the massively sized 6-series need CF bits..? (For marketing..?) People don't buy 5/6-series for their weight, they buy them because they need the SIZE... those people are geriatric and have no buying decision based on weight!

Lastly, all the things you speak about are in the far future. What about this year? Next..? How does a lightweight 2016 M2 do anything for us now..? When we've been waiting for a lightweight performance vehicle from BMW since the E46 M3 went EOL. What was your answer for the last 10 years.. the limited prod 1M..? or the purposely handicapped 135i..? The massively long M4..? You keep trying to market the future @ us, without recognizing the present situation. (Where is the beef, talk is cheap!)

Again, how does pricey CF bits help the average consumer..? Isn't that what the I-series is all about? Seems like BMW is scattered, looking for a new identity & they are hoping their core customers will subsidize BMW, while they find themselves.
I have to disagree with most of what you said aside from your first paragraph (because I don't really have an opinion on how this will effect me down the road or the current greed of the CEO).
I drive a 6 series, Im 34. I do need the size, and thats EXACTLY why I need carbon fiber. For starters the M6 has a full carbon roof and no sunroof, this is to lighten the 6 series and lower the center of gravity.
I need the 6 series because I need a GT car and want the features it comes with. But, that doesn't mean I love to get low mpg, have high stopping distance, feel like I need to muscle the big car around. No one is buying the next model unless it improves on the previous at some point the answer is not a V16 quad turbo to get more performance, INSTEAD the ONE of the answers to performance and mpg is lightening the car. Shave 500 pounds off my car and thats a HUGE difference, this could also mean my center of gravity is lower making the car handle better. If some of that weight is unsprung then thats even better!
1 thing makes your car faster, stop faster, and corner better and that is lightening it up, nothing else does all 3 for you. If BMW builds their own massive plant and is able to reduce CF costs because they use it in a more mass production manner, this is a win whether you care about CF or not.

as far as BMW's decisions on some matters and their direction, I love BMW and will keep an open mind as best I can, but you have to know every company exists to make money. Time will tell and I hope they keep us customers in mind
Appreciate 0