01-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #106
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Yes, it could happen. Lots of things could possibly happen. There aint enough hours in the day, or dollars in the bank, to prepare for every possible outcome, so sometimes it best to start with the things that are most PROBABLE, and then, eventually, if resources permit, work your way down to the things that are merely possible.

There's nothing stopping them from abusing a position of power, just like there was no deterrant for the other countries I mentioned to oppress their citizens either, yet they didnt act on that for hundreds of years.

Whats stopping people from mugging people in wheelchairs? After all, they can't properly fight back, can they? Since there is no threatening deterrent, I guess everyone in a wheelchair has their valuables stolen on a weekly basis... or maybe, people are not always a bunch of savages, who will ruthlessly pounce on a victim in a vulnerable position at the very first opportunity.

You have a panicked public, and the people who want more gun control outnumber those who dont at the moment. Like it or not, that's a fact.

If your argument is that you cant limit someone's guns because it weakens the deterrent against government tyranny, then you better find a way to convince those folks that such tyranny is a far more clear and present danger than some crazed gunman at a school. Just since Newtown, already there have been several shootings as schools (with not the same victim count, fortunately), so good luck with convincing worried parents Hitler is around the corner.

I do agree it sucks for all the responsible gun owners who dont go shooting up schools to be penalized, but I think the public patience to do nothing at all has been exhausted. Something has to change. It would be nice if whatever it was, actually made things safer.. No, I dont think that going from 10 rounds to 7 rounds will do that; but I dont think it will impose an insufferable penalty on recreational gun users either. OK, you gotta change magazines that much more frequently at the gun range, big deal. They're hardly saying you have till Jan 31st to turn in all your firearms, although you'd think they were saying that, given the drama stirred up by some people screaming that the 2nd amendment is being trampled.
Unlucky for you, my brother and his wife are both confined to wheelchairs and they have been mugged, 3 times for my brother. This last time was inside a lowes bathroom in a very nice part of town. Someone had seen them frequent this lowes while ringing the bell for the salvation army at christmas time. They waited for my brother to go into the bathroom and when he was in there the stole the basket on the front of his chair which contained his cell phone, wallet, radio, etc.. So yeah, these things happen.

My argument for not limiting the number or kinds of guns i can own has everything to do with it being my right as an American citizen.

The people screaming about the second amendment being trampled see these new laws, since they are not based in logic as a step closer to dismantling the 2nd amendment. Taking away rights in small chips is something 150,000,000 million gun owners are worried about. Imagine the unrest should the government demand we all turn in our guns. But take away our rights a little bit at a time and before you know it, 2 generations from how we'll only be able to own one firearm, have it locked in a case, the 1 magazine you're allowed to own for it will have to be locked in another case and only have a capacity of 3 rounds. When we get there, having the government offer up $300 for our firearms seems like a decent trade....

Unfortunately, politicians are dirty underhanded people and like selfish little kids, if you give them an inch they will take a mile. This is the main reason it's hit with so much resistance. If they actually proposed something that would logically even have a CHANCE to lower gun crime, gun owners wouldn't be so pissed off. But none of these changes, as you agreed, won't do anything to breed out crazy people.

With regards to your continual comparison between the US government and others around the country i tend to agree with what others have said rendering them apples and oranges. Our government is kind of like that couple who are both married but having an affair. They get their divorces and get married only to find out that both of them are cheating on each other within a year. Like really, no one saw that coming? The start of our government is similar in the respect that they were rebelling against absolute power. What they gained was that power itself. They did their best to guard against that happening and what they thought was the 2nd most important rule to be that guard was the people's right to bear arms. It's a given that they didn't think this new government would become tyrannical within their lives. But they were very aware of the very distinct possibility of a democratic/republic government growing out of control in the future. They penned this 2nd amendment to safe guard the people for whom the government was made for.

Someone mentioned 110,000 Japanese being round up and detained. Ask the native Americans what they think of the early US government, hell, ask them what they think of it now. You can't even ask many tribes because they are all gone, exterminated. People keep talking about Hitler as the boogie man but the US government is responsible for killing between 10 and 114 MILLION Native Americans. The largest genocidal act by any group of people in recorded history. Just another stat where the US ranks #1. The exact number is unknown because the killing of these people who didn't fit into the new american culture weren't always worth documenting.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 01-17-2013 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0