Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonwheel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
Sorry, thread is a bit old BUT it is an interesting topic of conversation. Esp

It is true I see a lot of e90 and especially e92 M3's but not too many non-M's. Despite having a lot of potential as a fun track car. I think it has a lot to do with the type of people who bought them new. They are ten years old which is not new but not super old. Many may still be with original owners. People who spend $40k on a brand new non-M aren't necessarily thinking of tracking it right away. Or if they we're, the $40k would go a lot further on something late-90's with track mods. Whereas the M3 was designed to handle track duty right off the dealer lot (for the most part) and the type of buyer is more likely to be thinking about going to the track.

Does that kind of make sense? That's my hypothesis at least lol

Edit: Shoutout to edycol for ripping around the track on the daily grocery getter snow car kid hauler. One car to rule them all. I love and respect that. I have similar plans myself. There will be some DM's in the coming months lol.
I have done two track days now in my 2008 328i 6 speed and you're right. There's a M3 here and there, but seemingly no NA e9x cars.

Today I was very pleased with the turnout of e9x cars. We all parked close too.

Next to my Alpine White 328i was a 2011 BMW 335is Alpine White with Oyster interior and DCT. 60k mile car....amazing.

Couple cars down was a 2008 (I think, maybe newer) carbon roof M3 with DCT and 80kish miles. Also Alpine White but w/ black interior. That dude was RIPPING it!

M3 had no problems but hasn't done rod bearings he says..and the 335is guy kept getting CEL and weird vibrations after a couple laps. He cashed out after the 2nd session and a total of 5 laps to live and fight another day. My car was great - oil gets hot but not overheating, and the brakes started to get hot but all in all no complaints!

In short, this thread needs kept alive because there IS a lot of protentional. The local track for me has an oval and part of the road course is the fast wide oval and my bone stock 328i carries roughly the same corner speed as a supercharged 500ish whp Camaro I rode in.

Short walkaround video of my car and the 335is linked. The M3 is in the first few second in the background. In the middle is the 180k mile black e46 M3

How hot your oil gets? At one point DME will dial back ignition and performance will suffer. I think that is around 133c. At 143 you will go into limp mode.
I would at least install heat exchanger (fluid/fluid box). Though oil cooler radiator type would be best.
Appreciate 0