08-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #373
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
You're the one who offered up the notion of luxury watches being functional jewelry and status symbols in the first place!

You presumably want people to ascribe a certain status to you when you're seen wearing a $20k luxury watch, but when pressed on what that status is precisely you get defensive.

Why is the onus on me to answer my question? I don't see watches as status symbols. I don't judge anyone's status based on the watch they wear. I wouldn't even recognize 99% of the $1k+ watches as is. They all look the same to me.

I also don't understand how I'm the one "dick measuring." I come from a humble, middle class family and I wear a relatively inexpensive Seiko (it's a real Seiko in all of its $100 glory).

I judge the wearer of a fake $20k watch the same way I judge the wearer of a real $20k watch - I don't judge either individual at all based solely on the watch they wear. That was the point of my post to begin with. I don't see how it's possible to judge status based on a watch, but you have more experience in this realm than I do. I don't have the faintest clue about the association between watches and status which is precisely why I asked you for clarification. I offered up my best guess - that there is little (if any) association between watch price and socioeconomic status - but you offered up a different view and I merely asked for clarification.

I'm also curious as to why you think offering up an enormous, plausible socioeconomic status range (so enormous that it's effectively useless) for $20k watch-wearers is the same as mocking some (or all) of them as pretentious and non-wealthy. I specifically included the very top income and top net worth for 2013 as the upper limit of that range!

holy defensive reply batman, I mustve hit a sore spot

defensive reply by way of posturing like an authority figure with an expansive list of questions

i wont bother with copying and pasting my previous responses, you clearly have a chip on your shoulder

also, i never said i own any $20k watches, that must have been an assumption on your part

have a great weekend
Appreciate 0