View Single Post
      10-24-2007, 12:54 AM   #15
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP View Post
If they're still in it and are doing it for progressively more money...then they are obviously doing what they want (or love) to do. If they truly hated it, then they have the resources to get the hell out whenever they want.

Personally...I love high intensity and high stress. I also love the fact that I can also go golf and sit on a beach for the rest of my life if I felt like it.
I guess I'm not making myself clear.

With $500k in the bank, you can leave and do whatever the hell you want, as long as you don't live the consumption lifestyle. What I have seen as I have made more money (and certainly my friends who make beaucoup bucks), you develop more and more expensive tastes. You just up the ante and have to make more to support that lifestyle. Some of my friends laughed at me for getting a 335i and said, "Dude, if I were you, I'd buy that 430. You don't want to show up rolling in a pedestrian car like a BMW."

Frankly speaking, you don't need much to survive. Once you get a taste of the forbidden fruit, nothing else will do.

I hate to say it, but I assume you are young - like lower 20s at most. I hope you don't take offense to this.

Don't get me wrong - I am a capitalist to the core. I'm just happy I escaped the fate of the finance lifestyle, a lifestyle in which very few people find fulfillment. Same with my close brush with lawyerdom after undergrad. A girl I dated back in school is now starting her law career - STANDARD starting salary is $160k. They are all miserable, however. I'll probably make more money in my current field anyways, since I love and therefore put a lot of effort into what I do.

That's just my thought process. Yours is not better or worse, just different. Different strokes....
Appreciate 0