09-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i did road warrior shit for a short time. it ages you fast and it takes a special person to turn it into a career. near the end, i would pack a bunch a melatonin and munch it up after i got back from the client so i can just sleep until the next day so the trip would seem to end faster.

some of the people that i would meet that did it for several years were regulars on sites like backpage. you can almost always find them at the bar scrolling and scrolling until eventually a questionable person would meet them and they would scamper away.

the guy that looks 50 or 60 was really just 35.

on the other hand, there are a few people that thrive in that environment and do a fine job. it's rare though imo.

me personally, would not give up my dog for anyone or anything. the poor thing just loves you for no reason. in addition, you sound single. it might be hard to find "the one" if you're always on the road.

if you're single, young and it's truly just 18 months then there's no better time for positioning. the thing is, consulting companies might say 18 months but they really mean 36.
These are some excellent points. I had to go look up what backpages is lol (oops NSFW). Its really not in my nature to do that kind of thing lol so I don't see that being an issue.

I do have a girlfriend that lives in Houston and she's looking into jobs out here in the bay area and is contemplating moving into my place, but this could be several months or even a year out.

In regards to the timeframe - this company is not primarily a consulting company they are actually a software company with a Consulting division. The plan is to work as a consultant for 18-24 months and then transition into a Solution Architect role which will be more regional and much much less travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
It amazes me that it's your dream job and yet you hesitate and have to ask for advice when it hits you dead smack in the face.

Gotta really take these opportunities before it's too late. You'll just regret for not trying.
I agree - I have this issue where I run through every possible scenario in my head before making a decision. I think I get it from my dad lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Do it. If you don't then refer me, I'll take your place.
Lol thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Dump the apt and find a local hotel you like. Probably cheaper, and will keep you in the groove of hotel life. Visit family/dog on weekends and get home cooking.
Luckily the company has no problem with sending me wherever I want during offtime/weekends so I can visit family or go home depending on my mood. I literally just signed a 1year lease so it appears for at least the next 11 months I will just have to keep the place. Honestly that is the least of my worries though as I really like my new place and would prefer to go home to a comfortable place I can call my own to unwind instead of another hotel.

Thanks for all the responses. I posted this up here because I figured many of you probably have or are working in similar positions and was curious how you felt about them. This really is the job I've been seeking for a long time now and with the exact company I had dreamed of. That said... I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. Spoke to the HR department today and things are looking very good.
Appreciate 0