View Single Post
      01-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

It can't be my tie rods cuz I just replaced all 4 with Lemforder units and got an alignment.

I definitely noticed the steering felt way different than my old 2008 335i Sedan and my gf's 2008 323i Sedan but I thought it was just a difference between Coupe vs. Sedan at first because I had never read about the active steering feature up until the other week. Also this car has the sport package and I read somewhere before that sport package has a different ratio rack (don't think this is true now...) so I was chalking up the different steering feel to that+coupe vs. sedan..

But ya now I know.. I don't mind the active steering at very low speeds & high speeds. But at moderate speeds whole cornering the steering doesn't transmit enough road feel for my preferences, I'll get used to it though.

I'll jack the car up again with a friend and take a closer look again at my front control arms/stabilizer arms & their bushings. As well as my sway bar end links & steering U-Joint, it has to be some play in one of these. Otherwise it's play internally in the rack itself which would suck...

It is interesting how the tone of the noise changes totally depending on the position of the rack.. So I'll definitely get in for a closer look.

Seems like having play in the rack itself is not very common on these e9x's
Appreciate 0