View Single Post
      04-10-2024, 07:44 AM   #8242
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The job landscape is changing, especially for my 19 y/o's son's generation. A lot of people are going to work full-time by having two part-time jobs.

I'm closing in on 50 and when I was 46, I voluntarily took a 20% pay cut to go to 32-hour/wk part-time (max hours I can work) vs being full-time and working 50-55 hours/wk. It was just becoming too stressful. I plan to cut my hours down to 20-24 hours in about 2.5 years and start a side gig. In 5 years, I will retire from my current job.

This is future for many in the US and in other developed countries. Many people my age (Gen-Xers) are waking up to the idea that fulltime work is a scam, kills your health, kills your fun time/family time, wrecks marriages, etc. They saw it with their Baby Boomer parents and got a big taste themselves and have woken up to the reality that its largely sucks and isn't worth it. A majority of my friends are envious of my work schedule. Yes, I had to make do with less, but I'm FAR happier and my wife and I have always lived below our means. The Baby Boomers and Gen-Xers will probably go down in history as living a life of excess compared to prior and future generations. Gen-Xers will probably go down as the most financially over-extended generation in history. My kids make do with a lot less and want less.
the real fix for any and all of this... is well a proper healthcare system that isn't tied to an employer... single payer at a reasonable cost... at that point flexibility will be king... i am at a point where nationalizing the entire healthcare system and medical schools may be a decent idea