09-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
How do I have it backwards? At 15K, Honda recommends changing the filter not the oil. Today 15K is becoming the standard service interval for oil and filter service. If it were a BMW, the dealer would change both just because it is the traditional thing to do. In reality, the BMW dealer is giving your engine unnecessary service when all he would really need to do is change the filter.

There is nothing wrong with extended oil changes with modern lubricants. Oil doesn't break down over time. The problem is the build up of contaminants over relatively short intervals. If the lubrication system can effectively remove them, oil can be used almost indefinitely.

I suspect BMW would like to do what Honda is doing or change just the filter every service interval and the oil every second. The problem would be all the gear heads would be screaming about the company trying to destroy their engines to make money selling parts or some such nonsense.

If you read car forums, you find a group of people who want to flush and refill everything imaginable. The third member never needs any service assuming it was properly filled by the factory. The same is true for manual gear boxes. They aren't subjected to the products of contamination that an engine is. About the only problem they have is moisture which is dissipated on warm up. Also they are filled with synthetic lubricants.

Makers today are taking advantage of great advances in engine and lubrication technology to build products that require less attention by consumers. Take for example, that yellow colored radiator coolant. That's a long life coolant that designed to protect the aluminum parts of your engine and give a long life service usually 5+ years. Even brake fluid doesn't usually needs to be changed depending upon its level of moisture. Some brake fluids aren't affected by moisture.

There is on item that may need attention, and that is automatic transmission. The problem here is depending upon internal wear it may need a filter and oil change.

I figure most of you will never keep the car long enough to really concern yourselves about all this flushing and refilling. I keep vehicles at least 10 years, so I am concerned about NECESSARY service to prevent expensive repairs.
Like I said you have it backwards. Honda recommends you just change the oil and leave the filter in. Two oil changes, one filter change.

Also, the base oil does not break down, but the additives do break down. You need to change the oil when the additives break down (TBN <1.0 and TAN >> TBN).

And by the way, I plan on keeping my car 10 years or more.

Last edited by Iron Man; 09-11-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0