View Single Post
      08-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #374
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
I'm probably way too late to this party, but I saw OP post this thread in another thread today.

OP: I'm not divorced (was never married) but I do pay CS, so I have some idea of what you are going through, I went through a similarly shitty breakup with my ex. I'm not sure if your case is already settled (even if so, they can be amended) -- but a couple of things to consider:

1. Imputation of Income -- If your wife has any kind of degree, or professional certification, even if you can prove she had X job before -- your lawyer should be able to argue that the judge 'impute' the higher income on her as if she currently makes it, even if she doesn't -- which would re-balance the CS/AL numbers.

2. Get full custody of your daughter -- She's 14, which means she decides which parent she wants to live with. Sounds like you have a financial advantage, and this might sound cold: but you should lie, cheat, bribe and steal to convince her to choose to live with you full time. If that happens, not only does the CS go away -- it goes against your EX, which should reduce the ALM payment by cancelling some of it out (I don't care if its $300 a month, you want it).

3. Once you've done #2 -- You and your daughter can take the advice of the above posters, my personal choice would be Germany. Then you get to keep your daughter, and your money -- since you are a programmer, you should be able to either telecommute or pursue a similarly-paid position in Europe.

I did your #1. She used make $90K a year and now makes only 30K. My lawyer was able to adjust her income to 60K but that was the most it could be accepted since good old days are gone, and there is no way sghe can make 90K again.

#2 is IMPOSSIBLE unless the other parent gives up his/her parental rights. This was not the case so I got 50/50.

Thanks
Appreciate 0