View Single Post
      01-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #87
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
--Networking. Take the time to know your professors - meet with them out of class if possible to ask questions &c. Show you care. This will [really] come in handy when it comes time to get a job or apply to post-college education.

--Take some fun classes. There were a few really neat recreational classes at my college (like fly fishing) that I regretted missing out on - might have been possible had I met with a college adviser.
That first point is a great one. It helps with letters of recommendation and can also help in class.

An example: I spent plenty of time in Organic Chem class and lab and knew the professor well. I tutored a lot in college including some of the students in my own classes.

We had an exam towards the end of the year and the prof usually deducted 1/4 point if you miss showing electron transfers during reactions. On one of the problems I forgot to put them in at a step and he marked them in for me. Another student, who was less than studious, saw that and noticed that he got docked points for the same offense. So after class he asked about it. The prof replied that it was clear this student didn't know what he was doing and he knew that I knew the material and it was just an oversight. The other guy was pissed. lol. Sometimes it's the little things.

And as he also said, don't forget to have fun. Work hard, play hard. Work hard enough and you'll get to live your life that way.
Appreciate 0