01-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #85
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Congrats on being accepted, it's the first big step.

Here's some advice:
--Meet with a student adviser each semester; I'd probably have been able to avoid some challenging schedules in my junior/senior years if I had some guidance.
--Find local bookstores in the area that buy/sell books. Amazon is cheap but local stores are more convenient and may be even cheaper.
--Networking. Take the time to know your professors - meet with them out of class if possible to ask questions &c. Show you care. This will [really] come in handy when it comes time to get a job or apply to post-college education.
--If you find the material in your field to not be your cup of tea, then ditch it immediately. Figure out what interests you. The "I already took x number of classes, might as well take the rest to earn the degree" rational is dumb.
--Take some fun classes. There were a few really neat recreational classes at my college (like fly fishing) that I regretted missing out on - might have been possible had I met with a college adviser.

I got my B.S. in Management Information Systems at Rochester Institute of Technology in NY. I had multiple job offers and was hired several months before I graduated. University of Rochester next door to us was popular for people in the medical field. Best of luck wherever you go.
Thanks!

Update #2:

Received a $52,000 scholarship! ($13k /yr over 4 years) All I need to do to renew it is maintain a 3.0 GPA; I'm aiming for 3.7+ anyways. Total cost over 4 years will be roughly $75k including everything, travel, books, etc.
Appreciate 0