View Single Post
      01-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #78
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
I got my BS in biochemistry with honors and got into med school. I guess I'm one of the few who enjoyed physical chemistry..PM if any questions arise..

Good luck!!
I learned a lot in college and I tutored many of the classes I had just completed. However, I don't think I learned a damned thing in Pchem. I still have nightmares from the final 15 years later. But, at least it wasn't Art history.

Matt, regarding the MD/MBA, it was a common thing for docs to do in the past when they ran their own practices. That day has passed and whereas 80% of docs were single specialty private practice 20 years ago, that number now is about 20% and dropping. The overhead is too great and it's going to get much worse as reimbursement drops. Most wind up in hospital owned or multispecialty groups. I don't mean to say that an MBA isn't a good degree, but it's not what it once was in the medical field, assuming you want to practice medicine vs run a practice.

Also, be careful with majors that are very focused. When I graduated with a BS in Biochem, my options were med school, grad school or get a lab job in Seattle starting at $9/hour. Always have a back up plan; I know a lot of people who had to try multiple times to get into med school. Choose a field that interests you and you'll find it easier to study and master the material. Because, as was stated, you're going to spend more time studying than most of your peers.
Appreciate 0