View Single Post
      04-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #29
jay spec
Rep
Drives: a 7-seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
I don't know about you, but I don't resell earphones, I use them until the break, nor would I want to wear someone's used in-ears.
i'm sure there are many people out there who use theirs until they break, as well as some that will use them for a period of time and then sell them for something else they'd like to try out. for myself, i've bought and sold many pairs, and resale value is definitely something to be taken into consideration prior to making a purchase.

on a sidenote - the tips on universals are replacable...most people that buy used will replace the tips before use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
my 12 dollar sony headphones do just fine for me lol.

im no jackass. i wouldnt pay more than 50 bucks for em. when will yall realize you pay for marketing mostly?

*sighs*
we could apply the same analogy to cars, but hopefully you see the correlation. you might think most of it is marketing, and sometimes it is, but the difference is real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron1043 View Post
Shure for earphones/earbuds. Ultimate if you can afford them.

IGNORE the below if you don't want on-ear headphones.

AKG 701. So long as you use a headphone amplifier to drive them. A lot of people consider the 701s the best in the world. (Myself included.) I was a diehard Grado fan, until I got the 701s. They're are an open design, so they're loud to those around you. That's a downside, but only if you're listening in places where others demand silence.

The price is high, $400-450. (Got mine at Abe's of Maine for I think $300.) But they're probably the best sounding, and among the most comfortable headphones in the world. (So long as you use a headphone amplifier.)
i would recommend shure for universal fit, and ultimate ears only for custom molded iem's. ue's universal fit iem's have been a disappointment for me.

the akg 701's are definitely nice (one of my favorites). the only grado's i've ever liked to this day are the hp1000's...before the whole "grado" sound came in with its overemphasized upper midrange/lower treble.

fyi, the 701's have always been available for less than $300 new. i would have to disagree on their comfort though...while the headgrip and earpads themselves are quite comfortable, the headband's center "pad" sticks out too far, causing an uncomfortable pressure at the center of your head during prolonged listening periods. aside from that though...the porcelain-look finish gives it that toilet bowl look, which can be a downside if you choose to wear these in a public environment

Appreciate 0