First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I can't help with the college part ... Never went... But for the programming part, since this person has only "part 1", offer to finish the project with parts 2 and 3 on your local machine, without uploading to AWS or github. And don't any code you've already written for those parts as you can assume it's been compromised.

[Sidebar: Why didn't their code have comments? Did you add them later, or did the guy take them out? I find that odd unless you added comments after this whole thing took place.]

In fact, submit it to the professor in case the other guy turns in what looks like a finished (by someone else) version of what you had started.

Essentially show that you can finish the code and the other guy can't.

Further, you cannot prove that you didn't give the guy the code. You can only plead that you didn't. Sucks that they automatically accuse you of this but hey, it's school, not court, and they don't really have to deal with pesky things like rules of civil procedure or due process.

As for accusations of plagiarism from the internet, there are a couple things you can do. First, show the file attributes on your code and project files that have created dates and was created by your PC username which matches your PC username. Sure, this can all be faked, but doesn't hurt your case at least, and might help.

Also there are tools out there that will take a document and verify it against databases of online documents. I forget the name of the one I used but see if you can find something along the lines of a plagiarism detector website/tool and run your files through it. This is probably a long shot because it's more traditionally used for essays and stuff, but maybe it's worth a shot.

Finally, if you log in to public WiFi on campus, make sure your security on your machine is sound, you have a password, file sharing disabled, etc., which goes without saying. And double check your cloud (AWS/git/etc) settings to make sure they're private. It's odd how this guy got a hold of your code.

Sorry you're having to deal with this mess and hopefully the truth will prevail and you will be off the hook. If it's a big enough assignment, I would offer to redo it on a different topic off the cloud to prove to the professor that you're capable of producing original work.

Finally, be grateful that you aren't that other guy who has clearly wasted 4 years in school and still doesn't know shit. As someone who's been in positions of interviewing and hiring programmers, I can tell you guys like him, even if they miraculously pass an interview, will not be able to keep a job very long.

Good luck, and protect your shit. No pun intended.
Thanks for that. But looking at the pictures provided by the TA in comparison he stole my step 1 project during modification. Not sure how he got it. At that time I skipped comments as the code did not fully work (outputs were not correct). Soon after I debugged and added comments and submitted mines. It's a bit difficult when you get accused right away and this is not something you would be preparing for.
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport | Carbon Fiber Hood powerdome | Mtech Bumper w/ Akyrim CF lip
Appreciate 0