View Single Post
      06-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #70
fobunited
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2011 550i

Lakers=Yankees=Patriots? How? The only similarity I see between them is that they win alot... you can't hate them for that!

People hate the Yankees because they can pay for all the best players. 6 of their players are in the top 50 highest paid athletes in the US. Fortunately, the NFL and the NBA have salary caps that helps limit teams being able to pay for championships.

The Patriots, you may hate them because of their winning ways, but their players are humble and willing to give up individual recognition for team success. Tom Brady denied a higher salary so the Pats could obtain Randy Moss. You won't see Manning do that, and he's the highest paid quarterback in the league.

Who spent the most in the NBA this year? Not the Lakers. In the NBA, dollars spent does not necessarily mean more Ws. Take the Knicks for example. The Lakers are successful because of two key factors: Kobe Bryant and teamplay and these two factors are NOT mutually exclusive, for we've seen what Kobe HASN'T done on his own.

He's surrounded by good ROLE players, which is why they are so successful. The Cavs can't surround James with good role players, and the Celtic's salary is mainly going to their three superstars, whereas the rest of their team is made up of aging role players from around the league. It's a composition of the "great role players who will disappear into NBA history" from the 90's.

Nobody passes more in the league, steps up for help defense, and is willing to let the hot hand win the game more than the Lakers, and I believe that is ultimately why they are going to win. The Celtics NEED to have at least 2-3 hot hands, and explosive games from at least one of their stars to win. The Lakers win with all around team effort, even if Kobe has a bad game.
Appreciate 0