View Single Post
      10-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

When to give notice of resignation

I'm lucky enough to have been offered an outstanding opportunity in an area of the country that I have been dreaming of moving to my entire adult life. Up until this offer, I figured it would be a retirement destination for me and my wife. I've already accepted the offer, which includes relocation. The caveat is that the gig doesn't start until Spring (June'ish) of 2015. I won't go into the reasons, but there are several good ones. We'll be listing the house after the first of the year, have already been looking at homes in the new area, and my wife has given her resignation notice and her replacement is starting in a couple of weeks. She is in a unique situation, so we weren't worried about her being dumped after two weeks, plus she'll be training her replacement until about April 1st.

As of now, my plan is to give notice to my employer in early January, with a target last day of mid-April. I hold a corporate director position, so the standard two week notice would be irresponsible, even though I have no contract obligation. If they dump me in March, we can swing the extra month without pay, but would rather not. I'm apprehensive of providing notice too early, but the thought of keeping quiet an extra couple of months is brutal. Does anyone have experience giving a long notice that they could share?
Appreciate 0