09-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Zernaff
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443
This site is a great resource to see how wheels compare.

http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/156

Using this site for the 156 and 189 style wheels you find they are both ET 34.

Plugging all this information in the calculator at the top of the page yields some great information. Let's dig in and get your answers.

Question 1 - before you mount anything on the 189's, do a trial fit on the front. The inside of the front wheel will be 1/2" closer to your strut. Make sure that gives you some clearance before you do anything else. Same will be true for the rear, but there is typically more space back there.

Also, remember that the outside of your 189's will be sticking out of the fenders an additional 1/2" compared to your 156's. You may not need spacers.

Question 2 - based on the tire sizes you provided, there will be NO change in your indicated speedo setting. Going from 205/55/16 to 225/40/18 shows you'll still read 60 at 60. Question 3 is a moot point. You don't need to do anything. Plug your sizes into the calculator at the top of the page and see for yourself.

Question 4 - Unless you go totally nuts with spacer size, you will not be affecting tire life. I can't imagine that you'll be going much bigger than 15 to 20 mm spacers in the rear. Maybe 12 to 15 mm in the front. Just make sure that when you're done with everything, get an alignment done.

Opinions - wait until you've done what you want and then decide. I'd save my money, but the color is a personal choice only you can decide.
Thanks a lot! You answered all of my questions.

And, the speedo thing - I was going by the actual diameter of the tires from tire rack. Granted, mine probably show some difference now since 7/32nds is worn away so I don't know if it's worth worrying about.

As for color, I know a guy who can do powder coating for $40/wheel, so it's tempting.

But, thank you.
Appreciate 0