09-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Zernaff
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

New Wheels - Need Help on Spacers + Tires

Hi all,

So, I bought a set of 189s (square) all 18x8. I am coming from the original style 156 wheels that came with the car. So, here are my questions..

1. What size spacers would I need to make the rears look okay? If an LCI (mine is PRE-lci) is 4mm wider on the rear, and the offset of the rear rim would be 3mm different than my 8", what spacer would make my rims/tires appear as 8.5" would on LCI. I hope this makes sense.

2. What size tires should I use? The diameter of my 205/55R16 Bridgestone RFTs is 24.9", and the diameter of the tires I was looking at getting (ditching run flats) is 25.1" - these are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, 225/40R18. I know this will have an effect on the speedometer, any way around that? Better size?

3. Kind of goes with question 2 - Anyone know how to code the car to the new diameter for correct speedometer? The speed is already high - I searched on here and found it was a normal thing for the speedo to say 60mph when I am really doing ~52.

4. Do spacers have any effect on the life of the tires? (I went for a square set-up mainly because I didn't want to be replacing my tires all the time.)

5. Opinions - Should I paint these? My car is sparkling graphite - Would gunmetal look good? Or, maybe gloss black? Or, should I stick with silver since these wheels aren't the sportiest ones out there.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts/opinions.
Appreciate 0