10-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #76
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
Sorry folks if this is boring but I was wondering how far do you guys live away from work. I always gave up a dream house favoring living close to work and this started to get to me. I end up not driving my car enough and at the end give it away ( just sold my 08 E93 M3 with 35k miles). I started looking for a new place but I cant find anything I like unless I go about 20-25 miles away from work. Is this too much. Again sorry for the boring post.
I don't know if it's too much. I bought what some folks might call a "dream house" and it's nowhere near -- as in at least hundreds, but most often thousands of miles away -- where I actually work. I don't know if I call my home my "dream home," but I know I'm not moving from it unless a major calamity inspires me to do so.

Quite a few of my neighbors, however, live within five miles (generally less given the size of the city) of where they work. Perhaps that's a function of there being good jobs and "dream homes" in D.C.

Given my circumstances, I'm probably not the best person to opine on whether it's better to live close to work or buy the house one most wants. Perhaps buying land and building your dream home near to where you work may be something you want to consider if having a short commute is that important to you.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0