View Single Post
      06-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #26
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

At least you don't have a professor so arrogant that they take the class too seriously. I'd take a dumb professor over that.

I took a 100-level public speaking class last semester. It's designed for Freshman and people that need to get their com class out of the way. It is supposed to be relatively easy and not stressful. Most people who have taken this course said that it was a joke, and if you made an effort then you would do well.

Out of every class that I've taken, this stupid 100-level public speaking course was the absofuckinglutely most stressful class that I have ever been in. He was extremely arrogant about his useless communications PHD and talked down to people with every question that they had. Each speech we had to give was a nightmare. He watched us like a freaking hawk; every gesture, every argument, etc. It was a miracle if you got a C on your speech. There was no reason for anyone to grade that strictly. All of us were taking that class because we either had to or wanted to improve our public speaking skills since we all had none or were very nervous to speak to a crowd. Yet, he expected an MLK every time you got up there, even on our first speech Let me put it this way: I wore hat my first speech. He said my hat was distracting and took points off for wearing it in addition to not formulating a good argument. By the way, our first speech was impromptu, where we received a 100% random subject, quote, statement, etc., and had 8 minutes to write a fully-developed 3-4 minute speech on it. None of us had any speaking experience prior to that speech.

At the very last day, he told us that the other people teaching public speaking were grad students and they were not "up to his level of teaching, and had higher grades than us" and as a result he had to give us a few extra points on our stuff that he did not want to give.

4% got A's in the class. I'd say that was the hardest damn A I've ever earned. It was bullshit. I've never been so stressed for a class before.
Appreciate 0