07-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #132
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
i think that's part of the issue. even if your optioned out f30 feels better than the base f30 328i, the fact that the base one is no longer fun to drive represents a slippery slope in bmw's direction. the base model should still be fun to drive. i shouldn't need to add expensive options to make it engaging. also in terms of quality and luxury, the f30 seems to be a downgrade. it no longer has the retractable cup holders, push to open storage bins, or the pneumatic trunk struts. these are pretty trivial things to complain about and doesn't affect the driving aspect at all, but it screams cost cutting.
I know, it sucks.

You used to be able to buy an E90 without a single thing on it and it would still have the braking, steering, and handling more in line with expectations.

So you can be pissed and bemoan that fact.

Or be happy that you can ala-carte and outfit the car the way you need it to-be glad that the choice exists.

I grew up with sporting Toyotas(MR2, Celica, Supra) Hondas(CRX SI, S2000, INtegra Type R, NSX). Now(aside from the SI and FRS) you cannot find a single performance/satisfying offering from both of those makers. There is NO choice.

Although BMW has shifted a bit, at least you still have options to get the setup you want. But they now offer the 320 with the bargain Sports pack(M wheel, sport seats, staggered 18" summer wheels/tires, 704 sports suspension for $1300). So for under $35k you have the most sporting setup-the people who have bought this setup seem to really love it-people coming from Sport E46 cars even.

I guess I am a glass half full guy.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0