05-15-2007, 12:55 AM   #12
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokX View Post
Spend as much time as I have over there, come back, and then tell me its not the poorest/worst country you've ever experienced. There is NOTHING there. People there would fight us and die simply because they had nothing to do. Women are treated worse than dogs. School teachers were beheaded simply for teaching. Kids were threatened to be tortured and killed if they attended school. Men were ruthlessly beaten and killed for cooperating with us. Kids are raped by adults simply for fun. Incest is rampant. And this is the norm. It was 10x worse under the Taliban. No music, games, entertainment, etc. was allowed. If this is not a shitty society, I would like to hear what one is. And this is Afghanistan, mind you, not Iraq.
There is no civil society in Afghanistan - the only thing men know how to do is tote around an AK-47. Worse, the Taliban seem to be once again on the rise thanks to Pakistan and the safe haven they find there. 30 years of war have ruined the country and its basic infrastructure, much of it built by the US back in the 1950's. I can understand the troops' frustration of having to deal with the locals - this guy should lighten up a bit with the kids though. They are the future of Afghanistan and impressions last a lifetime.
Appreciate 0