11-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Living near Seattle, I always laugh when the people from the flat Midwest chime in about this.....

Yes, most of the drivers are clueless, but I guarantee that even those from Minnesota would be sliding down that hill.

Here is why:
The ground in Seattle never really gets cold, so when the snow first starts to fall, it melts on contact. But as more snow falls, that initial wet layer from the melting snow turns to ice.

Now you've got an ice layer underneath the snow. Snow actually has a decent amount of traction, but as more cars go over it, it compacts and is basically as slick as ice at that point. Now you've got compact snow on top of a solid layer of ice. Without spiked tires or chains (I doubt studs would help), you are sliding down that hill.

Combine those conditions with significant hills, and you've got a winter slip-n-slide. We have some streets that exceed a 25% grade.

The cities around here will routinely close roads when it starts to snow, but some drivers ignore the signs, or they don't get put up quickly enough.

Notice how the one car (the white SUV, MDX?), even from a dead stand still, starts to slide down the hill? Can't go much slower than nearly stopped. So even going slow isn't necessarily going to get you safely up or down that hill.

I did laugh when the bus took out the bus stop sign. The irony was just too much....
The thing about the white MDX though was spinning the tires, feather that thing. Feather feather feather. And the people locking them up going into the stop sign, yea, too fast but PUMP those breaks, locking it up does nothing unless you have anti-lock brakes and that only does so much.

That camry was going WAAAYYYYYY too fast though, looked like it was going too fast for just wet roads.
Appreciate 0