08-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #118
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
it came with reflectors. or are the lights better? i was thinking getting some of the blinking LED lights for front and rear. is there a certain i have to use?
Any blinky tail light will be fine, and if you just plan on riding to dusk, a blinky or steady white LED for the front will work well enough, plan on $15-$20 for decent ones, you should be able to find them at your local shop. I run a cheapy Knog light on the front, and a Blackburn blinky tail light for most rides, it's easy to leave them on the bike all the time, just in case you stay out later than expected, they're really just to get you seen by cars, not to light the road.

If you want to ride into the night, a good helmet or bar mounted headlight will be necessary, and they cost a good bit more. LED's from Niterider and Light & Motion both work really well and are a reasonable price.

Try gloves that fit your hand well, and you might like padding, you might not. I use Rapha leather gloves, which have absolutely no padding, they provide much better feel, but it's probably best to start with at least some padding. Pearl Izumi makes decent gloves with enough padding to tame the road buzz, but not enough to roll around and be uncomfortable.

Enjoy the bike, and enjoy building your endurance. Good luck!
Appreciate 0