Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNF View Post
If you only have 1 camera and its the 5DMK2, and for a 2nd camera, 7D is by far, and absolutely one of the best body out there, not just within Canon, but among all other bodies.

So... 7D.. a bit pricy at $1800 for a crop body, but hell, if I didnt have a 50D already, I'd grab 7D.

For your bird photography, I'd assume auto focus speed, accuracy, and ability to focus moving objects are KEY.. heck, I thnk you have no choice, but to go for 7D, unless budget is an issue.
For birds in flight you need reach, AF performance and a decent burst rate. If you do it early in the morning, like me, then you also need high ISO performance. I think the 7D has all of that and, as you say, it's among the very top crop-sensor bodies, bar none. (At least based on specs and preliminary reviews of beta-prototypes).

Look at a few Canon L-lenses over 400mm and your perspective on the $1800 body changes to where it seems an absolute bargain. Even the Sigma prime lens are more than the 7D body. Thankfully, I can afford it and, using my Direct Buy account, I'll be able to get it at dealer cost within a few weeks.

Dave