Thread: SL65>ZR1?
View Single Post
      07-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #164
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

No doubt the ZR1 is faster than the SL Black, its a much, much lighter car with a powerful engine and much better power to weight and probably better torsional rigidity since the Black was based off a vert chassis (this is entirely speculative on my behalf and realize this). Straight line above a certain high speed may be close when the Blackīs torque comes in to its own, but its got to lug a humongous 771 pounds more than the ZR1. But, I donīt think people than buy an SL Black consider the ZR1 a competitor, they buy the Black because of exclusivity, looks, finishing, niceties, etc... Its really pointless to make a few seconds more or less on the Nurburgring as the vast majority of drivers will never ever drive these vehicles at the extreme, its all marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
As odd as it seems, they really are often cross shopped. When a guy is looking to spend a lot of money on a performance car, these 2 cars might be looked at. Just look at how many "should i get a 335 or a C6" threads pop up here.
Hahaha!! Very fair point. Happens every day as unbelievable as this comparison is. I suppose however that if you seek pure performance, it would have to be the ZR1 over the Black.